Start of my journey

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Learning to put the fork down

There's a plate of cheesy ramen noodles mixed with some veggies staring at me as I type this. No, im not hungry. Yes, i want to eat it. All my life i have been a picky eater. It has been instilled in me from a young age to not "mess over my food". Translation, clear the plate, lick it clean, eat it all. After all "i've spent hours in the kitchen to make you this meal!" " There are children in Africa who go hungry every night!" Words from my mother...
I never thought what once got me a pat on the back and a ticket for desert would come back to haunt me. I once heard to stop eating when your full in the golden trick to weight loss. So for years i've done this. What i didn't realize 'full' wasn't the feeling that your about to explode because it feels like you a 747 airplane. Full is simply the feeling of not being hungry any longer. WEIRD. I know. So about half way through my delicious meal of instant pasta and frozen vegetables i was struck with the thought, "i'm not hungry anymore. Why am i eating?" So i put the fork down. Fascinating.
Wisdom to leave with:
- It's okay to be done eating and still have food on the plate.
- don't eat when your not hungry. This is harder than you think. Practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment